HUGE donation of LED light bulbs from Philips to ERC will help families in Colorado.
Just in time for the New Year, three organizations are lighting the way for families in Colorado to save energy and money.
Colorado Springs Utilities (CSU), Energy Resource Center (ERC), and Philips Electronics Company have partnered together to illuminate the path to saving money and energy. With a gracious donation from Philips, Colorado’s low-income families are getting help with reducing utility bills. Over 40,000 LED light bulbs were donated by Philips to Energy Resource Center. Forty percent of the bulbs will be distributed in CSU territory, while some went to ERC’s Denver and Alamosa offices.
Philips has a strong sustainability mission that ERC and CSU believe in, stand behind and were willing to support and promote.
“At Philips, we strive to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Our goal is to improve the lives of 3 billion people a year by 2025” (according to Philips.com’s Vision and Strategy page).
This partnership will help in that goal.
The donated LED bulbs are a mix of 8.5Watt (60W equivalent) and 10.5Watt (75W equivalent). They can save $60.00 per lifetime of each bulb and have an estimated yearly energy cost of $1.02 (8.5W) and $1.26 (10.5W), compared to the traditional 60W incandescent bulb, which has an estimated yearly energy cost of $4.08. (Based on a usage of 3 hours per day and depending on rates.)
The first donation of just over 14,000 bulbs saved ERC $40,000.00; the full donation saved ERC $120,000.00! This is huge for the non-profit, as they can use those resources to help other Colorado families be safe and warm in their homes, increasing efficiency and comfort, while decreasing costs.
Lighting efficiencies are just one small measure ERC takes when it comes to making homes energy efficient. Along with insulation, furnace and water heater replacement/ repairs, and water and light efficiencies, ERC’s goal is to drop your utility bill by 25 percent or more. And they do this every day!
Often, low-income families have to choose between paying their utility bill or buying medication. Utility bills are a significant burden to the people ERC serves – as one-third of their income goes to pay the utility bill.
“They brought these wonderful LED light bulbs, which is going to save us a ton of money. It’s a game changer for us,” says Robert Thew, ERC client, CSU customer, and Philips donation recipient.
ERC exists to serve people, and their partnership with CSU and Philips has allowed them to help even more.
The Facts: Don’t be misLED – regular bulbs are no match for LEDs:
- LEDs produce almost no heat – reducing cooling costs and improving safety
- LEDs last 10-25 times longer than incandescent bulbs
- Each LED bulbs saves about $60 in electricity costs over its lifetime
- LEDs use 75% less electricity than incandescent bulbs
- LEDs last 35-50 times longer than incandescent bulbs and up to 10 times longer than fluorescent bulbs
- LEDs can be 6-7 times more energy efficient than conventional incandescent lights and cut energy use by more than 80%
- LEDs are used in a wide range of applications because of their unique characteristics, which include compact size, ease of maintenance, resistance to breakage, and the ability to focus the light in a single direction instead of having it go every which way
- In 2012, about 49 million LEDs were installed in the U.S. – saving about $675 million in annual energy costs
- Switching entirely to LED lights over the next two decades could save the U.S. $265 billion in energy costs, by reducing electricity consumption for lighting by nearly 50% and eliminating 1,800 million metric tons of carbon emissions
- An incandescent lamp converts about9-10% of the energy fed to it into light, whereas LEDs convert nearly 100% of the energy they consume to light
- LEDs contain no mercuryat all — and over 95% of a LED is recyclable
*Facts from Colorado Springs Utilities and the Department of Energy
Now that you’ve been enlightened with statistics, you can make choices that will help you save money and energy. A happy and bright 2017 to you and your family!